TheArtofSaro

TheArtofSaro
Singer . Songwriter . Serenader . Heartsnatcher . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I'll give you my heart if you give me yours.

Friday, April 20, 2012

YOUR WINGS


You see the butterfly in me. You say I flutter through life touching lives, pour my heart into winning hearts. You think I use my own sweetness to bring out the nectar in everyone around me and do it all with ease, gliding lightly between the flowers of time.

You say it all so nonchalantly, not even noticing how effortlessly you lift off.

As the distance between us grows, you’re quick to say you knew I’d fly away, only I’m right here. Watching as you rise on the breeze. Didn’t you know? No, you didn’t even feel yourself changing. That’s because they’ve always been there. I admired them right away. It’s hard not to notice such a magnificent creature. No, sweetheart, I didn’t trick you. You were always looking straight ahead, it wasn’t until you turned to see me settle in beside you that you glimpsed the wings. Surely they were mine since you hadn’t perceived them before. Only they weren’t.

And now you’re off. I knew from the beginning I couldn’t hold you down, knew you couldn’t fight against your nature any more than I could fight against mine. I knew better, but I couldn’t resist the impulse to reach for you once. Now, as I look at the brightly colored dust on my fingertips, as you try out your delicate wings, we both realize I left my mark. It was innocent enough, but neither of us will ever be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment